Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Infamous Alaskan Backpacking Trip

Before reading any of this, you need to go to my wife's post and read it first. No exceptions. She tells this story better than I could. However, there are a couple of points that I will throw in because it is from my perspective. I am giving you a couple minutes to go over there now and read through the thing. Do it now....



Continuing...
I am sitting here in my office chair trying not to bawl like a baby after reading what my wife wrote about that trip. It seems like a lifetime ago, yet, the emotions gush out of me like Ol' faithful. Just the mention of that trip gets my blood pressure boiling. Steph was right on every occasion. It started out below sea level and we were lifted off at about 4100 feet off a glacier. I still think Medvejie would be a nice unusual girls name. I remember taking my water bottle and filling it up at that lake. Getting from the camp to the tundra level was literally straight up. we were pulling on anything that would hold us and help us up the mountain. When we arrived at the top, it was what you were expecting: ice, snow, rock, wind. I loved it. We were hiking across snow fields that when you looked to your left 50 yards, there would be a straight drop off. That didn't last long if I remember right. Our group was so big that we never saw a bear, or much wildlife for that matter. (There is one bear per square mile in AK) We did come up to some mountain goats, they were pretty big, I thought at the time that would be a hike down carrying them on my back. I found a better link to the Lake, It does have a link for the connecting trail to the green lake, right before we turned and went straight up the hill. While we were hiking, we past a runner that runs that trail in a day. We would have taken about 4 days had we stuck with it.(had no one panicked)

We will hike this trail again. I will be with my two boys(maybe my girls too). The group will not be that large. I will have to pack some heat because of the bears. I am getting excited just thinking about it. I think I am done. Please amend as needed. Here is a link to an Article about it. You have to pay to read all of it but it does show you a bit of the story.

2 comments:

Stephanie Appleton said...

I forgot about the goats and the runner. The runner amazes me! I have a feeling your girls will want to go too! :)

Scribbit said...

Andrew has a coworker who runs up a mountain for training. Just straight up while all the out-of-shapers (like me) are huffing and puffing. It amazes me.